Monday 28 September 2009

THERE ARE times when you just want the ground to swallow you whole…

I had one such moment the other day, whilst playing the 12” vinyl version of the ‘Pussy’/ ‘Rammlied’ single. Along with a blue vinyl 7”, it’s a format that’s exclusive to the UK market (via www.whatrecords.co.uk), and I was playing it at window-rattlin’ volume for the very first time. I have to say that it sounds absolutely magnificent – warm and full and extremely powerful, so much so, that I decided to crank up the volume even more… just as a female cleaner was walking past my office at Universal!

I guess it could have been worse – I could have been watching the ‘Pussy’ video on my computer (for research purposes only, of course), but even so, the words ‘You’ve got a pussy, I’ve got a dick-ah!’ might not be to everyone’s taste. Happily, however, the lady in question instantly broke out in a big smile and gave me an enthusiastic thumbs-up, which is something that’s been happening quite a bit of late…

More often than not, there are all kinds of problems to deal with, and then just when you’ve got one under control, another one springs up behind your back. Over the past couple of weeks, however, positive vibes have been flying around like so much wayward pollen, and there’s a general feeling – which I heartily endorse – that this new Rammstein album is right up there with the very best of their work, a record to rival the seismic impact made by 2001’s ‘Mutter’ in terms of both artwork & music.

Certainly, the reaction from the UK rock media has been extremely encouraging; I’ve organised a couple of full playback events (thanks to Gibson for use of their London showroom), and I’ve also indulged in a few one-on-ones, if you’ll pardon the expression, and so far so good… in fact, I would say: so far, so great!

Do I have a favourite song on the album? Well, let’s face it, ‘Rammlied’ is pretty spectacular, and I like to think that its inclusion as part of the ‘Pussy’ package has at least a small something to do with my continued lobbying on behalf of the track. I’m also a big fan of ‘Ich Tu Dir Weh’ and ‘Waidmanns Heil’, the latter being a traditional German hunting greeting, which is why a horn of the hunting variety is immediately brought into play with sufficient force to have wild boar everywhere scurrying for cover! You can almost smell the leather shorts, if that’s something you’re interested in!

Actually, as the October 19th release date is approaching fast, I think a full track-by-track rundown might shortly be in order; and let’s not forget, there’s now 16 new tracks for me to give my thoughts and feelings on, with five bonus cuts being included on the special CD format of the album. Yes, there’s plenty to pronounce on, including a double coloured vinyl version, which I should have full details on soon; the Cup Of Rammstein is not just full, but positively over-flowing, and as a parting word of advice, might I suggest that you book your ticket for one or more of the three UK dates confirmed for next Feb before much more time has passed – to say said tickets are selling fast is a bit like saying that Rammstein like to play with fire… it’s true, but it in no way conveys the FULL (and flame-engulfed) picture!!

2 comments:

  1. Great article, please visit http://www.rammstein.com.uy

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you book your ticket for one or more of the three UK dates" - it's a great suggestion!! I've been lucky to go to their 1st show from this tour, and my eyes just popped out! It's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete